Blue Denim Hair.. the next big thing!!
Blue Denim Hair.. the next big thing yah or nah ?
Denim hair colours are incredible, because they can be simultaneously avant-garde and also down to earth. It makes perfect since, obviously, it’s not a natural hair colour, but it’s so muted that it ends up being totally wearable! So definitely consider this crazy awesome shade of blue! Denim looks good on everyone, regardless of whether it’s denim jeans or a jacket that they’re wearing – it wouldn’t be difficult at all to get denim hair to go with your outfit. Denim blue hair colour has to have texture in order to look stylish, so look for a lot of examples of highlights and lowlights, and interesting combinations of lighter and darker shades of dye.
What Kind of Denim Hair Are You Going For?
A great hair stylist will help you choose the perfect shade of denim for your hair! However, knowing right off the bat which shades are likelier to suit your skin tone will help.
If your skin has cooler, pink-y undertones, you want cold shades of denim blue hair, without even a hint of green or turquoise. Shades of navy blue, silvery blue, sky blue, indigo, and baby blue would be the best way to go.
If your skin is more yellow- or olive-based, however, you want warm shades of blue. For you, turquoise, mint, and dark marine blue hair would be ultra-flattering.
Are you a fan of the tanning salon? In that case, your skin might end up looking bronzey; sodark purple-blue tones would look incredible.
If you are nervous about choosing such an unusual hair colour, consider a balayage (a hand colouring technique that creates soft streaks through the hair, leaving the roots natural) or an ombre (a two-tone fade from top to bottom). You can keep your roots a natural colour, and softly incorporate shades of blue either as streaks, or just into the tips of your hair. This works really well with dark and platinum shades, but I’ve also seen brunettes and ashy blondes rock it.
Another work-appropriate choice is to go for a blue-black denim hair colour. In some lights it’ll look blue, but most of your co-workers will assume you’ve just gone for a greyish-black colour.
Denim Blue Hair Care
Unusual hair colours require a lot of tender love and care, both to keep the hair healthy and to keep the colour vibrant.
• Both before and after getting it dyed, make sure you’re using a gentle, sulphate-free shampoo. It’ll keep your hair and scalp healthier, and once your hair is dyed it’ll extend the life of your dye-job.
• Mask your hair regularly, especially with masks rich in coconut oil, to strengthen and moisturise your hair, and to prevent any damage from the hair dyeing process.
• Don’t overdo it with heat styling tools. Your hair is more easily damaged now that it’s been dyed.
• When you do use heating tools on your hair, make sure to first use a heat-protecting spray.
Fashion & Makeup for Denim Hair Colours
With denim blue hair you have to be a little more careful when putting together an outfit or makeup look – you definitely want to avoid clashing.
• If you want to play it really safe, or don’t have much time to plan your outfit, stick to shades of black, grey, or white, since they are guaranteed to work with any hair colour.
• Another option is to choose colours that sit close to denim blue on the colour wheel, like violets and minty greens.
• Be careful with yellows, reds, and oranges. Next to your denim blue hair they would really stand out, and unless your outfit is curated perfectly, they are likelier to stand out in an unflattering way.
• As far as makeup colours go, the safe way to go is to stick to neutral and cooler colours. Think magenta lips and silvery smokey eyes.
• When in doubt, neutral, natural makeup always looks great!
• For your eyebrows, it’s best to fill them in with cool toned taupe’s or shades of grey: it won’t look like you’re trying to match your eyebrows to your unnaturally dyed denim hair, but it also won’t clash the way blonde or warm brown eyebrows would.
Some Dazzling Denim Hair Colour Ideas
You got all the information down? Here are some incredible denim hair colour ideas to get you inspired!
1. Acid-Washed Wave Ombre
This blue-jean dye job is super cool! No, I mean it; cold, dark blue roots fade into frosty, metallic tips, creating a really lovely acid washed denim hair effect.
2. Blue Jean Mermaid Balayage
The denim hair colour effect really relies on texture, by having highlights and lowlights. These locks are gorgeously long and wavy, and the texture comes from having the hair mostly coloured dark blue, but with thick mint highlights creating a balayage effect.
3. Skinny Jean Frost
Denim hair colours can work really well on straightened hair, as we can see here. A mixture of grey, violet-blue, and platinum come together to create a denim hair effect that reminds me of my favourite pair of skinny jeans – sleek, stylish, and very wearable.
4. Stonewashed Jean Magic
In this denim hair look the roots start out dark, but because of seamless blending, they fade gently into a stoney silver that gets the denim effect thanks to some dark accents.
5. Vampy Denim Curls
Shades of black and dark blue come together to create the perfect Goth club look. It’s got a little bit of danger, and thanks to lush curls, a ton of vampy glamour!
6. Denim Ombre Bob
This bob is fascinating thanks to a touch of platinum silver breaking up a dark blue fade from the roots and the soft violet blue tips. This hairstyle shows that you can get really creative with denim hair colours!
7. Stonewashed Silvery Blue Medium Bob
I think my favourite part about this hair cut is the way it ends in a straight across cut – it lends a touch of seriousness that is offset by the gorgeous curls. The silvery-blue shade is lovely, and the darker roots mean that the grow-out stage will be very forgiving.
8. Bunny Blue Jean Waves
Is there anything cuter than a double bun? With the rest of the hair in loose, layered waves, this look is adorable and flowy. The denim blue hair is achieved here with a mixture of indigo and arctic blue strands perfectly textured.
9. Double Denim French Braid
Is it just me, or do these denim French braids actually look like a pair of jean-clad legs? These metallic shades of blue are incorporated into the braids beautifully, and the dark roots keep it edgy.
10. Feathery Indigo Denim Side Part
A mixture of slate and indigo waves is offset by just a touch of baby blue highlights. The feather-light waves and side part are effortless, and excellent for a casual look.